United Airlines pet policy gives you full guidance about domestic pets on their flights. Passengers have just to book the seat for their cat, dog, bird, or puppy in cargo or in a cabin at least 5 days before their flight but it depends upon the size and weight limit of an animal.
This blog covers cabin and cargo rules, fees, dog breed restrictions, route restrictions, service animals, and emotional support animals and shows which documents and forms are required to transport your pets.
Rules and regulations
United Airline pet policy mentions some rules and regulations for the safety of the pet on their aircraft. They allow pets to travel in the cabin with their owner or ship individually with a United pet safe program or in cargo.
United pet policy in cabin
- According to the United dog policy, only 1 small or domestic pet is allow to bring in the cabin in a single pet kennel per passenger on United and United Express flights within the continental United States except for Hawaii. If they want to travel with more pets, they have to buy an additional ticket.
- United pet policy health certificate and vaccination must be regulated more than 30 days before the flight.
- All pets should be aged 2 months old while traveling on a domestic flight on the other hand for international flights animals must be 4 months old.
- The weight limit for animals must be as per the guidelines of the United pet policy.
- An unaccompanied minor cannot fly with the pet
- When passengers arrived at the airport with their pet, the executive will a lot you a yellow bag tag to attach to your pet carrier and it is necessary to tie it with the pet kennel as per United Airlines pet policies.
- Your pet must be fit and stay in the kennel all the time and it should be under the seat of a passenger in front of you.
United carry on pet policy
Passengers can carry in a cabin pet carrier as their carry on bag allowance if United Airlines allows you to do so but there are some charges that you have to pay for each way.
United Airlines pet policy cargo
If the pet does not fulfill the requirements as per the United pet policy in the cabin then United airlines establish the pet safe program or United pet cargo policy for animals that cannot fly in the cabin of the United aircraft. Following points to keep in mind for travel pets in cargo:
- This service is for large pets and passenger can track their pet every time by their United Airlines pet safe tracking app.
- If your pet is under 2 pounds then it should be at least 10 weeks and if it is more than 2 lbs then it can be of 8weeks old for travel within the U.S. but for travel into the United States then it must be of 16 weeks old.
- If you are traveling internationally then the pet should have the following documentation:
- A United pet health certificate must be issued within 10 days before departure of a flight.
- The customer acknowledgment form must be signed by the passenger for pet safety.
- A digital photograph of a pet should be submitted for breed verification and photographs of a crate verify that it is IATA compliant.
- United Airlines will not allow any pets as checked baggage for travel from May to September due to extreme heat.
Carrier size and dimensions
If you want to bring your pet in the cabin or in cargo you must be aware of the dimensions of the kennel following have a full guide:
For pets in the cabin
Only 1 pet permit in the carrier and that should be hard-sided or soft-sided while carrying the pet.
The carrier must fit under the seat of the passenger every time.
Following are the dimensions for the pet kennel as per United Airlines dog policy:
|Type of kennels||Maximum dimensions(L x W x H)|
|Hard-sided kennel||17.5 inches x 12 inches x 7.5 inches (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm)|
|Soft-sided kennel||18 inches x 11 inches x 11 inches (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm)|
For pets in the cargo hold
As per the pet safe program, United Airlines don’t accept carriers taller than 30 inches.
United Airlines does not allow series 700 kennels for further transportation of pets.
Passengers can only book a seat for their pet if United aircraft have space available.
On premium cabins on Boeing 757-200,777,787 aircraft pets are not allowed.
Passengers cannot take seats in the emergency exit row if they are traveling with a pet in the cabin.
United Airlines does not allow the following dog breeds in their aircraft:
Brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs, strong-jawed dog breeds, American Bully, American Staffordshire Terrier, Brussels Griffon, Bulldog, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Chow Chow, English Toy Spaniel/Prince Charles Spaniel, Mastiff, Pug, Shih-Tzu, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel, Lhasa Apso.
Following are the cat breeds that United Airlines do not accept:
United Airlines declined to transport your pet to and from las vegas(LAS), Tucson(TUS), palm springs(PHX), and Phoenix(PHX) airports between May to September due to extreme heat.
United Airlines doesn’t accept in-cabin pets on their flights to or from or through following are the destinations which are given below:
Australia, Barbados, Cuba, Hawaii, Hong Kong, Norway, Palau, Panama, Philippines, South Africa, Sweden, Tahiti, Trinidad and Tobago, UK, Iceland, Ireland, Jordan, Marshall Islands, New Zealand, Northern Mariana Islands Guam, Federated States of Micronesia.
United Airlines does not allow services as per the pet safe program to Australia, Lagos, Dubai, and Nigeria.
As per United Airlines pet policy, $125 USD have to pay for each way if passengers want to add a stopover of more than 24 hours outside the United States or greater than 4 hours within the United States they have to pay an extra fee for that.
United Airlines esa policy
As per United emotional support animal policy, ESA any puppy, cat, dog, or kitten is not allowed on United Airlines flights whether in the cabin or in the cargo hold.
Service dog age must be more than 4 months and united airlines allow a maximum of 2 service dogs to travel with an individual with a disability if these dogs travel in a cabin then there will be no fees. When you are flying with your service dog, your dog must sit in front of a passenger allotted seat.
Frequently asked questions
How do I reserve my pet with United Airlines?
Passengers have to contact United Airlines and you have to tell them prior that you are traveling with your animal. You can reserve your pet by online manage reservation or by calling +1-888-526-4112. Pet reservation should be done between 5 to 30 days before departure of your United flight.
Do United airlines ask for a pet Health certificate?
While traveling with United Airlines, pet owners have to present a pet health certificate to travel with their pets. However, your pet should be transported in an approved pet kennel or cargo hold.
What size crate fits under United’s airline seat?
When your pet is traveling in the cabin with you in the United aircraft, the dog carrier should fit under the seat of a passenger. As per United Airlines pet policy the maximum size for a hard-sided carrier are 17.5 inches long x 12 inches wide x 7.5 inches high (44 cm x 30 cm x 19 cm) and for a soft-sided carrier 18 inches x 11 inches x 11 inches (46 cm x 28 cm x 28 cm).
Which breed of dogs does are not allow on United airlines flights?
United Airlines bans the following dog breeds in their aircraft Brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs, strong-jawed dog breeds, American Bully, Brussels Griffon, Bulldog, Boxer, Chow Chow, English Toy Spaniel, Mastiff, Pug, Shih-Tzu, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Japanese Chin, Lhasa Apso.
Is United Airlines pet friendly?
United Airlines welcomes dog, cat, kitten, puppy, and rabbit in their aircraft with pet-friendly policies. But pets should be in a carrier and that carrier remains under the seat of a passenger while traveling.
Can I reserve a seat for my pet on United airlines?
Passengers can reserve a seat for their pet but United Airlines allow certain breeds to fly with only United and United Express flights.
Do Military pets fly for free on United airlines?
Active military members can bring their pets that meet all the requirements including size, breed, and weight limit on United Airlines. They don’t have to pay any charges for flying with the pet.